Copyright registration is almost similar to Trademark and Patent Registration. Through Copyright Registration author secures the right of reuse without the permission of author. Once Copyright Registration is granted no person is allowed to use the same without the permission of the author or creator. A copyright gives the owner of the subject an exclusive right over his work which may be content, music and software etc.
- Computer Programming
- Sound Recording/Songs
- Painting and photographs
- Cinematography film
- Training Manuals
- Any other literary/artistic work
To obtain copyright over any eligible work (books, film, software) an application with requisite amount of fee has to be filed with copyright department. A particular of work has also to be submitted with form. Along with application three copies of work also to be submitted for published work. Such copies can be submitted in hard copy, CD or in any other appropriate mode.
Once the application is submitted, the registrar will issue a Dairy No. There is a mandatory waiting period of 30 days from date of application for any objections to be received. If discrepancy and/or objections are noticed, a notice will be issued and the same needs to be complied within 30 days from the date of issuance of the notice.
Once objection is clear it will be accepted by department and will be publish in advertisement. If no opposition received then owner will be granted a registration certificate.
- Basic information of owner
- Non-objection certificate from persons whose name/photo appears on work
- Two or three copies of work
- Power of attorney
It’s not compulsory to get copyright protection but it is always recommendable to do so because it will give the owner a certain set of rights over his work and the protection that no one can copy his work for a period of copyright. Following are the key advantage of copyright:
- Provide restriction from re-use, reproduce etc without the permission of author
- Enable the owner of copyright to charge royalty
- Helps owner to take legal action against infringers
- Enhanced goodwill and brand value
- A copyright become public record which helps to gain synergy gain